Wednesday, February 2, 2011

"light" and food storage

Little Beck is my world. Being a new mom and a stay at home mom is more than a blessing. Even on difficult days, like today, with teething and lack of sleep it is pure bliss because of all the little special moments. Todays special moment happened after nap time. I noticed a couple of days ago that when I get Beck out of his crib, the first thing he does is franticly look up and try to find the light fixture and stare at it until I flip it on. Then he usually smiles. It cracks me up. Today after finding it, still groggy from his nap and satisfied after turning on the light I sat in the glider and said the word "light". He looked up and stared. I did it again and again he looked. He knows the word "light" and I love it! What a wonderful word right?! Light. It seems like such a small thing but it seriously made my day.

4 new teeth coming in on top

On another less exciting note, last sunday we had a combined relief society/priesthood lesson on food storage and financial security. It hit me hard. I walked out to the car after class totally stressed out about how unprepared we are. A list of things we needed ate at my brain all day. A fire escape ladder (we live on the 3rd floor), food, water, first aid kit, 72 hour kits, copied personal documents... just to name a few. So I've decided to start with 72 hour kits and to start building my food storage supply by buying a few extra cans of food every time we get groceries. I went to the store this week and also pulled a few cans from my pantry and stored them in a separate place. If disaster strikes tomorrow we have about 12 cans of green beans and corn to live off! I went through our stuff and found some extra back packs to use for the 72 hour kits but thats as far as I've gotten there... I have a long way to go but I figure I'll just make a list and start collecting things when I can and cross them off. The bishop talked about the importance of not only being prepared for what my family needs but having enough to help others as well. I'll get there. If anybody has any tips on this subject I'd love to hear them!

3 comments:

Natalie said...

i need to get on top of this too. i just bought a 25 pound bag of flour at costco for about $5.

Brandon and Jamie Smith said...

So cute!! "Light" was one of the first words Easton learned and it's still one of his favorites! They must be related! :) Just wait, in a few months, Beck will be begging you to hold him up to the light switch so he can turn the lights off and on multiples times a day!

The food storage thing stresses me out too!! I found that at the cannery, (at least the one in Sandy), you can just walk in and purchase cans off the shelves. These were cans that were packed by people, but they made extra and didn't want to buy them. I went in multiple times a week for a month and was able to get a huge variety. And the people at the cannery are supper nice and will show you how to do everything. I thought it was fun.

I think the most stressful thing is it's so expensive to get everything!

Unknown said...

It's weird to think our babies are like the same age! Troy is 7 months too. You guys are absolutely adorable! I love your posts. I totally feel the same way. Being a stay at home mom is so worth it for those "moments."